Monday, July 1, 2013

1 July: a day of terror in hospitals across the nation.

That's right -- it's the day yesterday's medical students become today's doctors, still unable to form the word "Doctor" without hesitating.  "Me -- a doctor?" they think.  It's a word that embodies knowledge and confidence, neither of which most interns have or really should have.  Med school can never prepare you enough.

And then there are those of us who suddenly find ourselves the most senior members of the team.  We're third-year residents, meant to know Lots of Stuff and Take Excellent Care of Patients, while Teaching Said Stuff to the eager young minds waiting to lap up our every word.  This would work out so well if we actually knew something worth teaching.

I sure hope that when graduation hits, I'm ready.

My very long day will be chronicled in more detail after I finish my Infectious Disease Fellowship application, due today but not likely to be done until hopefully, maybe, tomorrow.  But it was an interesting one, I promise.

In other news, none of the three hundred students have yet to mention anything about our little hope, so I will keep quiet as well.  I just applied for Surrogate's maternity insurance which was scary as it requires acknowledging this little hope and pretending I am hopeful enough to purchase insurance.  There are still a long 29 6/7 weeks to go.  But all I can do is pray and hope and try to protect myself from attachment, right?

But for now?  Sleep, blessed, beautiful sleep.  I do miss you, dear Bed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a big and important step! Is that a rider on her insurance? Yours? Neither? Glad things are progressing along!!

    ReplyDelete