Sunday, May 19, 2013

Brief interlude while at the hospital, in which Our Heroine lies through her teeth

Is it ten at night, or morning?  Night float has me properly confused.

Of course it is actually night, and I sit in the resident conference room.  I'm not thinking a bit about this current cycle, or hormone levels, or endometrium thicknesses.  I'm not calculating when and on what day we will get our beta-hCG results.  I'm not wondering how I will take the news, be it good or bad, and where I might be when we get The Call.

I am perfectly captivated by Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine.

PS If you believe that, there's a bridge to Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

I've actually been doing well thus far.  I have been reading Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.  It's quite interesting, and the style is unique.  This is the first of his books which I've read.  I don't yet understand why it led to the ramifications to which it did, but my Indian history is practically non-existant, so perhaps that's why.  I've watched some episodes of the "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" which are a wonderful modernization of Pride and Prejudice.  I still recommend the book beacuse Jane Austen is AWESOME and HILARIOUS, but these are a nice adaptation.  It's spring and the air is heady with lilacs, and Husband and I have started taking walks outside again.  Modern life keeps us so cooped up inside, and with the constant pull of technology, it's too easy to forget that there is, indeed, a Real World out there.  (And yes, I did indeed spend a fair amount of time studying the Romantic Period.)  It's also so difficult to disconnect from technology.  At least when we walk, we might look up the answer to a question on our smartphones, but we're actually talking to each other.  No television or computer in the background.  Although, we are fans of Doctor Who, and of the Big Bang Theory, and have been watching both.  I also very much enjoyed Verdi's Aida last night, but Husband was non-plussed.  I suppose this is not surprising as his patience is equal to a two-year-old's.  (But a lovable two-year-old's.)  I love the music, and the spectacle, and the story, and the singing was quite good.  The set was also very well done -- not extravangant, but appropriate, and with a very interesting color scheme involving ltos of green.

Anyway, back to learning.  See you all tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. good to hear from you! so glad you and your hubby are enjoying the spring weather and getting outside! it has been gorgeous hear, minus some rainy days

    ReplyDelete