Monday, April 9, 2012

Israel: Land of the Fertile

We are having a wonderful time here.  This place is home in a way no other is.  And how better to celebrate Passover than in the Jewish homeland?  Granted, I prefer my family's seder.  We sing more, we enjoy more, and we don't rush through it as fast as possible.  But this is the only holiday I have celebrated with Husband's family in the five years we have known each other, so he is entitled.

Besides matzah, we have managed to:
1. visit a world flower exhibition -- crowded but beautiful!
2. "hike" -- this requires quotation marks because our gang has changed a bit.  Y and A had their twelve-month old, B, and the participated with a walkie-talkie from their car.  E is seven and and a half months along, and not particularly mobile either.  So actual hiking amounted to about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes maximum followed by sitting and eating, and then moving to a restaurant to continue sitting and eating.  Yes, Israelis like to eat.  (And tell me to eat more.)
3. Family time: Savta, niece and nephew, lots of fun and lots of nudging me to eat.  A yiddishe bubby, after all.
4. Shopping at the mall.  I found the lip gloss  I wore at my wedding and yes, it is now coming home with me.  I like makeup.  It is absolutely feminine but does not require chromosomes, hormones, or ovaries.  I am just like any other girl.

My main question, however -- how did this place get so fertile!?  I have never seen so many strollers, so many pregnant women, and so many babies.  Is is something in the water?

No comments:

Post a Comment