Thursday, July 7, 2011

In which our heroine tries to keep her patients alive, and free of infectious diarrhea

So I almost gave my patient C. difficile colitis today -- ordered ciprofloxacin po as directed by my Sanford Guide to treat her UTI.  Then I reevaluated my thought process, determined she did NOT have a UTI, and found an old note from the time she got C. diff from a course of cipro.  I discontinued the antibiotic I never gave.

I guess that's a win?

If you don't count my breakdown this morning over her continued refusal to let me take a history or examine her, and then my blankout at how to manage her hyponatremia.

But we got her sodium up and her confusion resolved.  And I found a cool physical finding that will unfortuantely remain nameless because I don't want to take a chance that she become identifiable.

All in a day's work.

Oh, and I'm supposed to teach a medical student?  Thank goodness she's enthusiastic, smart, and talented!  I think maybe she'll teach me!

No comments:

Post a Comment