Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy Shavuot! חג שבועות שמח!

apparently I was quite sleepy when I wrote the following, since I accidentally posted it to a blog which I never  meant to use!  But here is my intended post from last night.

...and it's Jewish holiday time again!  From yesterday sundown until tomorrow night sundown we celebrate God giving us the Torah (see previous post), as well as the first fruits of the season.  We read from the Book of Ruth and it's customary to eat dairy and wear white.  Mmmm...cheesecake...I did not actually consume cheesecake today.  But I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to invite the family over for the holiday.  I prepared six homemade pizzas, (okay, not the sauce -- but everything else, including the dough) sauteed spinach, eggplant with tehina, and an Israeli salad of tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in olive oil, lemon juice, and salt, all while listening to lectures on Neurology.  Yes, I was busy in the kitchen!  The pizzas unfortunately looked far more gourmet before baking.  I rolled the dough out very thin because we're a thin-crust bunch, and I roasted garlic and tomatoes and sauteed onions and fancy mushrooms for toppings.  I also bought fresh basil and mozzarella. Oh, how lovely those pizzas looked!  I should have photographed them.  But I didn't put enough flour underneath, and we had a very difficult time getting them onto and off of our pizza stone.  Husband may have had a few (or more) harsh words with me.  But it's behind us, and everyone seemed to eat it, so I guess at least it was tolerable.  A good time was (hopefully) had by all.  After everyone left we hung new posters above the dining-room table and also hung our ketubah (marriage contract).

It's been quite hot today; over ninety degrees!  But tomorrow is supposed to cool off a bit.  I hope so!

Also, I owe a big thank-you to my mama and grandmother for helping with the cleaning -- or rather, doing nearly all of it and not letting me work!  I hate to see them work when I made the party, but I guess I will pay it forward one day, hopefully.

I'm realizing I used the word "hopefully" quite a lot in this post.  I'd say it describes my current state pretty accurately.  Another good word would be "sleepy," so that's it for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment