Monday, April 11, 2011

In Which our heroine lacks completely any courage, but shares new research and good news

The brief news of the day is that I got up the gumption to call our surrogate, say hello and touch base, since we weren't allowed to contact each other until after the contracts were in place.

When I say I got up the gumption, I mean...sort of...may have addressed several other tasks on my to-do list and some not on my to-do list before dialing.  And I may have breathed a huge sigh of relief when nobody answered.

I called myself their "friend from _____" on the message since I don't know who might listen to their messages -- they have children and live in a small community.

News for the scientifically inclined:  Research about Turner's Syndrome made a recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine!  The article is entitled, "Growth Hormone plus Childhood Low-Dose Estrogen in Turner's Syndrome" and describes a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.  The abstract is free, and subscribers may read the full article.


Little other news.  Got a completely overinflated but fun to read evaluation for my January elective, had a wonderful time celebrating the wedding of two of my best friends (CONGRATS to the new Mr. and Mrs. C!!!  We love you!), and received heart-warming feedback on a short-story collection.  I'm reading one of the stories aloud at an upcoming conference.  No, I shan't say where! :o)  All I can say is, I hope Abraham Verghese shows up, and if he does, I hope he agrees to autograph my copy of Cutting For Stone.  I'm unlikely to accomplish this since I will probably be speechless and unable to blink, and since it's unlikely he will even show.  But can't a girl dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment